I should clear some things up:
- Before publishing this I did attempt to contact the Curves in question. My phone call went un-returned.
- Beyond the phone numbers and addresses contained in the letters (WordPerfect docs) there was no other data found on the system.
- The Curves database was encrypted and NO EFFORT was made to circumvent this encryption; no billing information (if any existed) was exposed.
- I was slightly misquoted on The Consumerist – no credit card information was found. My original post pointed out the potential for billing information to be found based off information I read about the iGo software.
- The hard drive was wiped (by me) using DBAN and no copies of the original data exist.
requestdemand of the owner the computer (and hard drive) were returned to them.